We have just a little over two days to go before Black Friday shopping kicks into high gear. So far, I see where Kohls is opening at 3:00a.m. That seems to be the earliest so far, but we will see. So, I’m sure with the stores opening so early, everyone will have an opportunity to get to the stores really early, even if you have to go to work. Therefore, you need some strategies to get the best bargains and to handle the crowd. Here are a few that you might just need to be reminded of.
1. Eat your breakfast. Chances are you will be standing on long lines and you will get hungry. If you are hungry you will be no match for the crowd.
2. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Leave the high heels in the car or leave them home. They are not good for standing over long periods of time. Clothes should be comfortable in terms of fit.
3. Be alert. Not everybody in the line has money to shop. Some are looking to shop with your money. It doesn’t matter if they are male or female. Just be alert. Look who is behind you especially when you open your pocket-book or take your wallet out. Men, keep your wallet in your side pocket.
4. Use a debit card instead of a credit card. The benefit of using a debit card is that you don’t send up your credit card debt in the new year. It helps you control your spending. If you have a credit card with a limit of $5,000, you might go out and spend $2,000.00; but if you know you only have $1000 in your checking account you know you have to be very careful and make that money stretch. This does not mean you cannot use your credit card, what it means is that you use it only when necessary. Some items will be better purchased with a credit card. Another benefit of using a debit card, is that you don’t have to walk around with much cash. What you can do is if you mostly use cash transactions, just put the money in your checking account and then use your debit card. I know that some banks allow you to get cash back on debit card purchases. Ultimately, use wisdom because you know your situation better than anyone else. This is for those who don’t have a lot of money to work with.
5. Make a shopping list. If you go without a list you are likely to buy something just because it is on sale and maybe you don’t really need it. Black Friday is a good time to start shopping for people on your gift list. It does not have to be for Christmas only, it could be for someone with a birthday in January or February. Whatever you do, just make sure you have your list. It keeps you focused.
6. Lock your vehicles. Sometimes people forget to lock their trunks. Also, make sure if you have to make trips from the store to the car, you do not just throw the shopping bags on the back seat. The trunk is the best place to put your shopping bags.
7. Be aware of return policy. Many times in the excitement of the shopping people forget to check the return policy. That is critical especially if the item is for someone who lives out of town. Watch for final sales too.
Hope these prove helpful.